- Call for Abstracts
- Field Trips
- Travel Information
- News and Links
Taking place on: 29 August 2014
Johan de Villiers
Merensky Reef bottom contact
Geology and Operation:
The underground mine and concentrator is owned and operated by Lonmin and is the third largest platinum producer in South Africa. It mines and processes ore from the Merensky Reef and UG-2 chromitite layers of the Bushveld Complex.
The underground mine visit will include the Merensky Reef and UG-2 exposures and will provide opportunities for seeing the layering in the sequence. Pothole features can also be seen where the normal layering is interrupted by cross-cutting features.
The mine visit will be followed by a visit to the concentrator where the ore is beneficiated from 5 g/tonne to approximately 150g/tonne. Large flotation cells in series are used to recover platinum group minerals with an efficiency approaching 90%.
Visitors will have to be briefed about safety in the mine and concentrator. The visit will last most of the day.
Cost: R 750-00 per person
Min number of participants: 15
Maximum number of participants: 20
Terms and Conditions:
1. Participation will be confirmed on receipt of payment.
2. Preference will be given to registered IMA delegates and accompanying persons.
4. Cancellations received before 30 June 2014 will receive a full refund less a 10% administration fee.
5. Cancellations received between 1 July and 15 August 2014 will receive a 50% refund.
6. No refunds will be issued for cancellations received after 15 August 2014.
7. Refunds are subject to the approval of and at the discretion of the organising committee.
8. The organising committee reserves the right to change or cancel this tour.