- Call for Abstracts
- Field Trips
- Travel Information
- News and Links
Taking place on: 6 September 2014 PM
This easy one-day field trip focuses on the important geological formations of the Witwatersrand and the history of gold discovery. It starts at the Walter Sisulu National Botanical Garden west of Johannesburg where you can walk through the unique Geological Rock Garden and explore the Geological Trail.
We then drive across the Witwatersrand to stop at George Harrison Park to see the discovery outcrop of the Main Reef conglomerate. On the way we pass the site of the Confidence Reef, the first important gold discovery on Witwatersrand. Then on to Gold Reef City where you will do the "Jozi's Story of Gold" tour including going 220 m underground down the original Crown Mines No. 14* shaft, followed by seeing a pour of molten gold at the 1890s mining village. (* subject to availability)
08.00 Depart Sandton CC for Walter Sisulu National Botanical Garden (Krugersdorp); explain regional geological setting on the way
09.00 Arrive WSNBG and move to Geological Rock Garden; walk towards waterfall. Show Fred Struben's 1885 map and explain prospecting
09.30 Arrive at waterfall and explain local geology with short presentation; climb to top of waterfall to see view and explain Witwatersrand geology
10.30 Depart Garden for George Harrison Park; stop outside Kloofendal Nature Reserve on the way for short presentation on the Confidence Reef
11.30 Arrive at George Harrison Park in Langlaagte and see Main Reef conglomerates; short presentation on site to explain historic discovery and new mining development
12.30 – 13.00 Arrive at Gold Reef City Theme
13.30 Short presentation on historic Crown Mines; proceed to tour office to start guided Heritage Tour. Will include U/G visit to No. 14 Shaft and gold pour; and local museum if it is open
16.00 Depart GRC for Elsburg Conglomerates at Ridgeway (time permitting)
17.00 Depart for Sandton Convention Centre via M1
17.30 – 18.00 Arrive at Sandton Convention Centre
Lunch packs & beverages
Gold Reef City Entrance fees
Min number of participants: 10
Max number of participants: 30
Terms and Conditions:
1. Participation will be confirmed on receipt of payment.
2. Preference will be given to registered IMA delegates and accompanying persons.
4. Cancellations received before 30 June 2014 will receive a full refund less a 10% administration fee.
5. Cancellations received between 1 July and 15 August 2014 will receive a 50% refund.
6. No refunds will be issued for cancellations received after 15 August 2014.
7. All refunds are subject to the approval of and are at the discretion of the organising committee.
8. The organising committee reserves the right to change or cancel this tour.