- Call for Abstracts
- Field Trips
- Travel Information
- News and Links
Taking place on: 29 August 2014
Day trip – 29 August
Cullinan village, east of Pretoria, is the site of the Premier kimberlite pipe that in 1905 produced the famous Cullinan Diamond, at 3106 carat the largest gem diamond ever found. The trip takes you on a conducted surface tour of the working mine and a walk through the 1900s mining village. You will be able to see replicas of famous diamonds and how diamonds are polished.
Later the trip will take you to the 1.5 km diameter Tswaing Crater north of Pretoria, the world's best preserved and most accessible meteorite impact site, only 200 000 years old. After a visit to the Interpretation Centre, those who feel fit can hike into the 120 m deep crater bowl.
The trip is to depart and return from Sandton ICC.
08.00 Depart Sandton Convention Centre for Cullinan via M1/N1 and N4; explain regional geological setting on the way (drive 1.5 to 2 hours)
09.30 Arrive at mine for mine presentation by Petra Diamonds, if possible (if not we may start mine surface tour earlier)
11.00 Meet up with Premier Diamond Tours and start surface mine tour (up to 2 hours)
13.00 Depart for Tswaing via R513 and Zambezi Road and Onderstepoort; lunch on-board (drive about 1.5 hours)
14.30 Arrive at Tswaing and drive by coach to crater; presentation on crater event; walk part way along crater rim and some may want to venture into crater (time permitting)
16.30 Depart for Johannesburg via Pretoria and N14/N1 (drive 1.5 – 2 hours)
18.00 – 18.30 Arrive Sandton Convention Centre
N/A – Day trip
Cost: R 850-00 per person
Min number of participants: 10
Max number of participants: 30
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD
Terms and Conditions:
1. Participation will be confirmed on receipt of payment.
2. Preference will be given to registered IMA delegates and accompanying persons.
4. Cancellations received before 30 June will receive a full refund, less a 10% administration fee.
5. Cancellations received between 30 June and 15 August will receive a 50% refund.
6. No refunds will be issued for cancellations received after 15 August 2014.
7. All refunds are subject to the approval of the organising committee.
8. The organising committee reserves the right to change or cancel the tour.